Thursday, September 23, 2010

...Uhh Did What?


"Ladies and gentlemen,I'm extremely honored to be presenting this trophy tonight, and to be standing among such talent as these young men. That being said, it gives me great pleasure to introduce to you your 2010-2011 NBA World Champions, THE MIAMI HEAT!!!"

You got to watch David Stern present the trophy the other night, right? I mean you couldn't miss it, it was a groundbreaking moment in NBA history. Well hopefully you at least got to watch them in the playoffs, they were unbelievable! They swept every-single-series they played! Every game was a lop-sided blowout, and it got to the point where teams were just bowing out after awhile. There's no other way around it, The Miami Heat of '10-'11 are the greatest team in NBA history, hands down. Boston and the "Big three" mere shells of what they used to be. Kobe and The Lakers are all missing a step. And Dwight's Magic can't even pull a rabbit out of the hat.

Sound familiar? If it doesn't, it certainly should. I mean the way conversations have been going in these past several months, I'd think that this would fit right in, does it not? Too premature? Well my bad, but I just thought that since everyone wanted to play "fortune teller", then I might as well throw on my wizard hat and twiddle my fingers around a cute little crystal ball, too! So there's mine! Hopefully it's not too extreme, because I did a lot of research and put a lot of analytical thought into this one. How can you seriously bet against these guys? Here's a team that has three of the most dominant basketball players in the world, including the reigning MVP. All three have played together for who knows how many years now. The other nine guys create an unrivaled supporting cast, as well as an unbelievable franchi...okay for the love of God, can someone please stop me before i hurl on this computer screen?

I don't like rants because it just sounds like random thought that makes no sense, so I try extremely hard to defend any opinion or anything I say with some kind of backing. But every once and awhile, the raw "fan-ness" kind of overwhelms any astute, well-constructed, or professional thought I may have had. As you might be able to tell by now, this is one of those moments.

I'll make this very short and sweet: Obviously, this team has never played a season together in their entire careers. Specifically, the new "Big Three" have only played together on the U.S.A. team, and other than that, have spent their careers struggling for championships. The only one who does have one is Dwyane Wade. But wait, isn't that the point of bringing the three of them together then, to have a greater opportunity at a ring? Yeah that's definitely the point. In fact, the idea that they could even think to pull off such a move, is pretty scary. So now you have these three incredible athletes on the same team; now what? At the time that LeBron James decided to team up with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, there were only seven players on the Heat's roster (three of which were rookies). Right now, they currently have 20 that they'll need to shrink down to about 12. Let's take a gander at the talent, shall we?

Miami Heat Roster
Joel Anthony
Carlos Arroyo
Patrick Beverley
Chris Bosh
Da'sean Butler
Mario Chalmers
Yakhouba Diawara
Kenny Hasbrouck
Udonis Haslem
Eddie House
Juwan Howard
Zydrunas Ilgauskas
LeBron James
James Jones
Jamaal Magloire
Mike Miller
Dexter Pittman
Shavlik Randolph
Jarvis Varnado
Dwyane Wade

Now, in all honesty, does that sound like an NBA Championship team to you at all? I recognize about 12 of those names. Three are all-stars, three or four have been respectable role-players, and the other five were even fill-ins on their other teams. I don't want to take away anything from The Miami Heat, because they have certainly thrown their name in the hat this off-season. But while I don't want to take away anything, I also don't want to give them more then they've earned. So what have they earned then? ..my point exactly. Here lies my problem.

All it took was one "decision" for people to start engraving "The Miami Heat" into the championship rings for this up-coming season. It's been almost four months since that day, and now you can't even watch ESPN or listen to any NBA analyst speak, without hearing about the Heat. It's pretty sad when Dwyane Wade, himself, has to come out and tell the press that "The Lakers are still the team to beat". He's absolutely right. This team has done NOTHING to be called "The team to beat" yet.

I've watched sports for far too long to believe that in one fell swoop, you can create a championship team. It doesn't work like that. Now when I say that, I'm sure you immediately start thinking about The Celtic's "Big Three" or the couple moves made by The Lakers in order for those teams to win championships. It's not rocket science people, there's a huge difference between those teams and this one. It's the fact that they were actually teams, and this is three guys who just picked up a couple others to try making a team.

On any given day, I will bet on a great team over a few great players.

The day after LeBron decided to join The Heat, my brother came flying into the room yelling "Okay, who thinks The Heat aren't taking it this year?!?! 100 bucks right now!!! It's over!!!"

...Umm me?

We've done this for the past two years now. The first year, I bet on the Boston Celtics while he bet on The Cleveland Cavaliers. Boston won. Last year, I bet on the Los Angeles Lakers while he bet on The Cleveland Cavaliers. Los Angeles won.

Are you catching on to the pattern? The Cavaliers had LeBron, Shaq, Mo Williams, and a team of spot-fillers. Boston and L.A. have great teams. They win and lose as a team. If you do not balance out the load and find a unique chemistry, you will lose every single time.

Team will always beat talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment